Cats, Dogs, Cows, Sheep, Pigs, Poultry, Deer, and Humans
Overview / Symptoms
- Escherichia coli is a type of bacteria that can cause disease through contaminated food or water.
- Humans can also become infected from drinking lake water while swimming, not washing their hands after touching or handling animals, or by eating food prepared by someone who did not wash their hands after defecating.
- Infected humans may experience diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea and/or vomiting
- Infected animals may experience vomiting, lack of appetite, rapid heart rate, depression, lethargy, diarrhea, and/or low body temperature
- E. coli in livestock and deer does not make them ill